10 Mile Challenge - more challenge, more thrill!
If a day of action on the river is what you crave, this is the trip for you! Expect to encounter numerous Class I, and several Class II rapids mixed in with lazy stretches of peaceful water. There are plenty of places along the way to stop for lunch or to just sit back and take in the scenery. This is a ten mile voyage down the river from our office in Lillington to the NC 217 bridge in Erwin, NC. Small groups of 1 to 3 canoes/kayaks should expect about 4 to 4.5 hours on the river. Larger groups should allow for longer times on the water. Our shuttle will bring your group, boats and equipment back to Lillington.
Trip Cost Prices are per boat and include paddles, life jackets, and return shuttle
|2-person Canoe or Kayak||
What to wear
Dress for the weather and try to layer your clothing. Keep in mind that cotton takes longer to dry out than synthetic fiber clothing (i.e.: polyester, nylon, polypropylene). This is more important if you’re paddling in cold water and weather. During summer months, special moisture wicking clothing is not as important. Also, keep in mind the sun. Some folks choose to wear long sleeve clothing, while others opt for sunscreen. If you have paddling booties or water shoes, that’s wonderful! Or you can wear old gym shoes. Or strap-on outdoor activity sandals like Keen, Chaco, or Teva. Flip-flops are not recommended because they will not protect your feet in the event of a boat turn over and they could get lost.
What to bring
- Bring plenty of water! Plan on taking one 12oz bottle of water per person per river hour. Absolutely no glass containers! Nalgene bottles or regular plastic bottled water is your best option.
- Nutritious snacks or a full lunch, especially for longer trips. Paddling is a strenuous activity and it’s important to keep your body properly fueled and hydrated. If you’d like to bring along your cooler, mid to larger sized coolers fit very nicely in our 16’ Old Town canoes. Small, insulated fabric coolers may be strapped to the back of our kayaks.
- We'll ask you to take at least one phone per group.
- If you’d like to bring a change of dry clothes to leave in your car, please do! We have changing rooms you can use at the end of your trip.
- Water toys, cameras, speakers, etc.
The Trip Day
Where to go
Arrive at our main office located at:
100 South Main St.
Lillington, NC 27546
If using GPS:
- Include South in the street name
- Make sure you are being directed to Lillington, not Buies Creek!
We are located next door to Mermaid Point, right by the river
When to arrive
Please arrive at the time you scheduled your trip. For example, if you schedule your trip at 10am, that's the time you need to arrive at our office. You can expect to be on the water within 30 minutes or less after we do all the necessary steps prior to your outing (see below).
Every participant must fill out a liability waiver form prior to their trip. Participants 18 years and older have to fill out an individual form , while minors (17 and under) must be included on parent or guardian form in the designated section. You will need your Booking ID before you can complete this form.
If you are making your reservation online, then you will prepay online and there is nothing else to do upon arrival in that regard. If you haven't made a reservation online (that we strongly suggest) then we will collect a payment upon arrival to our office either via credit or debit card or cash.
Use this time to get your necessary items you are bringing along on the trip, including putting on sunscreen, getting your water and snacks, locking up cars, etc. Our office sells bottled water, sunscreen and other items for your convenience! During that time we will get your boats, paddles, life jackets and any other supplies ready for your trip.
Every person has to be briefed about their trip. We'll talk to you about general river rules, safety, and about your particular trip to ensure you know what to expect while on the river.
Out to the water
At this point you will walk down to the water which is about 150 yards away from our office. Typically, we will have boats ready for you by the water. We will help you load any of your accessories and help you launch. From here you are on your own to enjoy beautiful scenery, and have an amazing time!